Wednesday, March 19, 2014

There's No Place Like Home


So happy this place is still going strong after 30 years.
At the end of last month, I had the opportunity to go "home" to San Luis Obispo, California for a week.  This is something I've been planning on doing since last fall. I hadn't been there since July 2007 for my 20 year High School Reunion.  Needless to say, my visit was long overdue.

I love San Luis Creek!

My favorite thing about flying into SLO is the beautiful scenery.  Flying over the Pacific Ocean, then heading inland towards town, never disappoints.  Its usually sunny and clear.  The two things I love and miss the most about the Central Coast.

Remember those Midnight Movies?!

Although the area has grown and changed so much since I left in 1992, I still feel very comfortable there.  I know that I never appreciated it when I was younger, and as an adult have wished numerous times that I could move back.  Maybe one day when the kids are grown, and we have some freedom, I will get my wish.   I did enjoy visiting with my relatives, eating good food, catching up with old friends, relaxing, walking downtown, and running into familiar faces.  I felt refreshed after this trip.  I think I needed to regroup after our move.  I'm certainly grateful that I have a wonderful husband that keeps the troops in line when I'm gone. 

On our way back down Madonna Mountain

Here are some highlights from the trip:
  • Climbing Madonna Mountain with Jenny.  This is something I've never done before.  I guess I was privy to going up to the "P" instead.
  • Eating at the Custom House in Avila with Martha.  I miss Avila, the pier, the scenery.  It's not the same funky place it was years ago, but I still love it!!
  • Hanging out with Heidi, laughing like there was no tomorrow, catching up at the Luis Wine Bar, eating breakfast at Madonna Inn, being "Bar Moms" at Bull's, and of course holding and kissing Heidi's Emmy she won last fall.
  • Being in town the same weekend my other friend Heidi was in SLO.  She had a great Oscars Party.  Its such a great idea, I think I want to host one at my place next year.   
  • The Central Coast rained most of the time I was visiting.  The wind and rain even kept me up one night.  This is so atypical of SLO, especially since they only had 4 inches of rain in 2013.
The Avila Pier.

No comments:

Post a Comment