Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Eateries in Zushi, Rope Climb and Smoothies

Over the past month, I've eaten at a number of good restaurants...all of which happen to be in Zushi.  Just a quick commute by train, or car from Yokosuka's main base,  these places are reasonably priced and worth checking out.

Upstairs seating at Barefoot Cafe.
Barefoot Cafe -  If you want to escape the huts on Zushi Beach, try the food here.  Just across the street from the beach and about a block from Red Lobster, you can get a lunch set for 1,000 yen (about $10 USD).  I had an huge American-size BLT Sandwich, some yummy chips and salsa, and an iced coffee.  There is a quaint/rustic upstairs that you can eat outside and watch beach goers.  They also have a lighted toilet bowl....the first I have ever seen in Japan and in my life.  Very clever!

Matchpoint -  Just around the corner from one of the exits of The Shin-Zushi train exit is Matchpoint.  Another rustic interior and their specialty is curry.  They had both vegetarian and meat variations and their lunch sets also ran around 1,000 yen.  I like hearty curries, and this definitely was good.

Steak Gusto - Cruising along the beach this past weekend, we stumbled upon this place.  I had recently been told to go here, and I'm glad we did.  They had a great salad bar, that included curry, rice, fruit, and rolls.  We got the salad bar, plus a steak and chicken meal.  Everything was pretty tasty and for the two of us, the bill was only 2,300 yen.  Not bad!  They also have free parking if you get your ticket validated when you pay.


Kamakurakomachi - If you eat soy products, then this is the restaurant for you.  It is extremely small, and located about 5 minutes from the JR Zushi station.  I was taken here over 2 years ago, and have been back many times since.  They make delicious tofu patties, tofu potato salad and other wonderful concoctions.  You'd never know what you were eating was tofu.  Lunch sets also are around 1,000 yen.  
  
                                Latest CrossFit Challenge
                                     = The Rope Climb 

In all of my 44 years, I've never attempted to climb a rope.  Well, thanks to CF, this week I was able to have a go at it.  I was able to get my foot to pinch the rope, but I could not figure out how to pull myself upwards.  Thank goodness for U-Tube!  Its very helpful to watch videos so that I can see the form I'm supposed to be using to conquer this skill.  I hope this is easier than double-unders.


My favorite smoothie recipe at the moment.

Lately I've been on a smoothie bandwagon.  I've been making them at night, or for a snack during the day.  Although I've been trying many variations, here's by far, my favorite recipe:

1 cup of Unsweetened Almond milk
1 handful of spinach
1 scoop of protein powder (yes, even chocolate tastes good)
1 handful of blueberries

Blend all ingredients together in a blender and enjoy.  You could add some ice to give the smoothie some volume and a little crunch!






2 comments:

  1. Can you go to the barefoot cafe...barefoot!?
    I wish I was over there so I could try the places you talk about. Good luck with the rope climbing, hopfully we'll see a pic soon of you at the top!

    ReplyDelete