Saturday, May 19, 2012

Curry カレー karē

Never in a million years did I expect to come to Japan and find curry. Justin and I have been fans of Indian Curry and yes, even "Golden Curry" in the box for over a decade. One of our date nights, especially when we lived in Seattle, included going to our favorite Indian restaurant by Northgate. The kids also love curry. Having the entire family like the same type of food is a bonus.

Popular Curry Restaurants in Japan.
Come to find out, curry is one of the most popular dishes in Japan. It was first introduced to the country back in the 1800's from India. So, this dish is anything but new to Japan. There are tons of Coco Ichibanya (Coco's Curry House) restaurants. They are hard to miss with their bright yellow signs. I have been once. They sell curry over rice, and you can order varying degrees of spiciness. While I thought it was good, I have found other restaurants that serve a better tasting curry ( so to all the Coco's fans). You can order Japanese curry with a variety meat and vegetables. They have curry with sausages, fried pork cutlet, curry with an egg on top, cheese curry, and the common beef and chicken curries. Also, depending on which region you are in Japan, can determine the type of curry you will get. So far, the absolute best curry I've eaten was in a little hole-in-the-wall restaurant in Hiroshima. I had beef curry in a slightly sweet curry sauce. Oishikatta.

Katsu kare (pork cutlet).
While we do enjoy Japanese curry, we have also been to numerous Indian restaurants in Yokosuka that we like. I am veering away from my usual Tikka Masala, and am enjoying the Butter Chicken...thanks to my friend Rylynn. We tried "Nirvana" On Blue Street last night. I found it especially good, and not too expensive. Yokosuka also has a yearly Curry Festival at Mikasa Park where you can try many different types of curries. We've missed it both times, but hopefully next year we will be able to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment