Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Music To My Ears


Some of my favorite things about living in Japan are the various songs/melodies you hear.  I'm not talking about songs on the radio, or music videos, I'm talking about daily life in Japan.  Here are some of the major melodies we hear when we are out and about:

  • Train Stations- When you are the train station, there will be a melody played that signals that a train is coming or passing through the station.  Also, certain train lines use certain melodies. 
  •  Garbage Trucks-  When we first moved into our house, I could not for the life of me understand (literally) why almost every morning I would hear a certain song played around 9:00a.m.  This puzzled me for months until I saw the garbage truck driving down the street with the speaker blaring the tune.  Now, I welcome the warning especially if I'm late in putting out my garbage.
  • Its 1700 or 5:00p.m. In The Neighborhood- In just two minutes, I'll hear the daily 5:00p.m. neighborhood melody that signals the kids to come home from the park.  I was also told by a Japanese friend that this daily melody began as a way to test out the tsunami warning system.
     
  • At Work and School- There is music for the bells at both work and school on base.  This may also be true out in town.  One time I was at my husband's work at the end of the workday and just about did a leap out of my seat when I heard the afternoon bell/siren go off.  I thought there was an emergency. There wasn't, it was just time for everyone to go home for the day! 


Here's a video I found on You Tube where you can listen to a melody at the train station.....not sure what's up with the piano solo at the end of the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment